An allegation of sexual abuse towards a child can destroy lives, but unfortunately, false accusations are far from rare. There are many reasons a false allegation may be made, but what is important is what you can do to protect yourself from these undeserved charges. Here is what you need to know about defending yourself from false sex crime charges.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?
- Attempt to remove the possibility of further false allegations by always having another responsible adult present when you are in the presence of children. Scout leaders, daycare workers, coaches, and teachers are especially susceptible to false accusations due to their work with children.
- Try to resolve custody and child support disputes amicably. A bitter fight may increase the chances of your child’s other parent becoming angry and accusing you of misconduct.
- Hire an experienced attorney if you have been falsely accused of molesting a child. Even if you are confident that you will not be convicted, your lawyer can help you mitigate any damage and ensure that you have a strong legal defense.
- Educate yourself on the laws and issues of false allegations of child sexual abuse so you can work as a partner with your attorney to protect yourself.
- Contact neighbors, friends, co-workers, and family members who can testify on your behalf.
- Maintain positive relationships with your children, should the allegations arise out of a custody dispute or parenting argument. Your children may be manipulated into speaking out against you, but you should still try to remain on good terms with them.
- Take these accusations seriously and prepare a strong defense. The accusations against you may be groundless, but they also may have a cause. Your lawyer can investigate your case and gather evidence of your innocence.
WHAT SHOULD I AVOID?
- Don’t engage in conduct that may be deemed inappropriate around children, such as using sexually suggestive language, telling sexual jokes, or rough-housing.
- Don’t abuse your children or other children physically, emotionally, or sexually.
- If an accusation is raised against you, don’t be passive. Take action to contact legal representation as soon as possible.
- Avoid admitting to anything that you did not do. Sex crime convictions can have devastating, life-long consequences.
- Even if emotions are running high, do not lose your temper with the authorities involved in your case. Losing control of your emotions may be used as evidence to support the allegations.
DON’T FIGHT YOUR CASE ALONE - (615) 200-9409
If you have been falsely accused of sexually abusing a child, there is no time to waste. Even if you are completely innocent of the allegations, your reputation may still be tarnished and it is possible you may still be convicted. If you are convicted, you are facing prison time and may be forced to register as a sex offender. The social consequences of false accusations can also be highly damaging.
Joshua T. Crain, Attorneys at Law understand the distress you may be feeling as you fend off false allegations. For this reason, our Murfreesboro sex crimes defense attorneys are committed to providing caring legal counsel and a strong, thorough defense for your case. Schedule a free case evaluation with our team today.
Contact our offices online, or speak to a representative by calling (615) 200-9409.