Have you been accused of committing a crime? If so, it is imperative that you retain the services of a powerful lawyer. While a majority of people understand why an attorney is necessary, many people become overwhelmed during the process of selecting the right attorney to handle their case. Knowing what to look for can become confusing amidst the multitude of law firms that are all vying for your business. To help you make a decision that best fits your needs, it is important that you consider the following factors when searching for legal representation.
1. Look at their client ratings: One of the most important aspects of an attorney that you should look at is their client satisfaction ratings. Testimonials from previous clients can provide invaluable insight into a lawyer’s character and code of ethics. You want to retain the services of a lawyer who is dedicated to protecting your rights – not just securing the easiest outcome or plea bargain. It is usually a good sign if an attorney’s past clients have praised them for their work, as they will likely offer you the same level of advocacy.
2. Look for a lawyer that solely practices criminal defense: Choosing a lawyer that dedicates 100% of their practice to criminal defense is desirable. While many firms claim that they “handle” criminal defense cases, a dedicated defense attorney will likely be better equipped to negotiate on your behalf and provide a more compelling defense against your charges.
3. Avoid public defenders: While a public defender will almost always be a more affordable option, they have been known to handle hundreds of cases at a time and probably won’t be able to provide the same level of attention as a private attorney. In addition, many public defenders are fresh out of law school and lack experience.
4. Check their education: The educational background of an attorney can be relevant to your decision. Choosing an attorney that has previously taught at a law school or has published works is usually a plus. This can help to give you an idea of a lawyer's standing within the legal community.
5. Meet with them: Possibly the best way to get a feel of who an attorney is and what they can offer is by scheduling a consultation. While a lawyer’s website can give you a plethora of information about their practice and background, nothing can quite substitute having a real conversation with them about your case. Go with your gut. Since your attorney will likely have your future in their hands, it is important that you are confident in their abilities.
HARD-HITTING CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY IN MURFREESBORO, TN
If you are currently facing criminal charges, Crain & Flatt Attorneys at Law can tenaciously defend your freedom against the prosecution’s claims and maximize your chances of securing a desirable outcome for your situation. Having earned a perfect 10.0 Superb Avvo Rating and two rakings on the National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 list, your case is sure to be in good hands.
To find out more about how our attorneys can help, request a free consultation or call our office today at (615) 200-9409.