An allegation of
sexual abuse towards a child can destroy lives, but unfortunately, false accusations are far from rare.
There are many reasons a false allegation may be made, but what is important
is what you can do to protect yourself from these undeserved charges.
Here is what you need to know about defending yourself from false sex
What Should I Do?
- Attempt to remove the possibility of further false allegations by always
having another responsible adult present when you are in the presence
of children. Scout leaders, daycare workers, coaches, and teachers are
especially susceptible to false accusations due to their work with children.
- Try to resolve custody and child support disputes amicably. A bitter fight
may increase the chances of your child’s other parent becoming angry
and accusing you of misconduct.
- Hire an experienced attorney if you have been falsely accused of molesting
a child. Even if you are confident that you will not be convicted, your
lawyer can help you mitigate any damage and ensure that you have a strong
- Educate yourself on the laws and issues of false allegations of child sexual
abuse so you can work as a partner with your attorney to protect yourself.
- Contact neighbors, friends, co-workers, and family members who can testify
on your behalf.
- Maintain positive relationships with your children, should the allegations
arise out of a custody dispute or parenting argument. Your children may
be manipulated into speaking out against you, but you should still try
to remain on good terms with them.
- Take these accusations seriously and prepare a strong defense. The accusations
against you may be groundless, but they also may have a cause. Your lawyer
can investigate your case and gather evidence of your innocence.
What Should I Avoid?
- Don’t engage in conduct that may be deemed inappropriate around children,
such as using sexually suggestive language, telling sexual jokes, or rough-housing.
- Don’t abuse your children or other children physically, emotionally,
- If an accusation is raised against you, don’t be passive. Take action
to contact legal representation as soon as possible.
- Avoid admitting to anything that you did not do. Sex crime convictions
can have devastating, life-long consequences.
- Even if emotions are running high, do not lose your temper with the authorities
involved in your case. Losing control of your emotions may be used as
evidence to support the allegations.
Don’t Fight Your Case Alone - (888) 988-5578
If you have been falsely accused of sexually abusing a child, there is
no time to waste. Even if you are completely innocent of the allegations,
your reputation may still be tarnished and it is possible you may still
be convicted. If you are convicted, you are facing prison time and may
be forced to register as a sex offender. The social consequences of false
accusations can also be highly damaging.
Crain & Flatt Attorneys at Law understand the distress you may be feeling as you fend off false allegations.
For this reason, our Murfreesboro
sex crimes defense attorneys are committed to providing caring legal counsel and
a strong, thorough defense for your case.
Schedule a free case evaluation with our team today.
Contact our offices online, or speak to a representative by calling (888) 988-5578.